Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Yarn Along 1/4/2012

~ Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading? Taken from Ginny's blog
This yarn along catches me right in the midst of something new. Something I have never tried! Plarn! What is plarn you might ask? It is plastic yarn made from re-cycled plastic bags. It is a project our Youth director(my sister!) is starting at our church. We will be making mats for homeless people in our area with all the plarn our Youth will make in the months so come. After giving the task of figuring HOW to do it and in a flurry of excitement. my little family gathered bags and cut them up and rolled them into a plarn ball. Many bags do not make balls of plarn, it takes MANY MANY bags so my ball is small! After using all 40 or so bags in my collection of bags to make my plarn,  I cast on 2.5 feet (about 80 stitches) and I am madly knitting to accomplish something to show our youth this afternoon.
The book I picked up last week at our library is just heartbreaking. I didn't finish Choosing to See but I will! I made the mistake of taking of the challenge Elizabeth Berg placed on the cover of  Signs of Life.  No I couldn't stop at the first page. Natalie drew me in with the first line. Mathews walks in the door.....
It is very good-- VERY VERY good! But breaks my heart with every page. I want to invite Natalie into my life and take care of her. place this pregnant girl at my table and feed her and care for her.  And help her fill the hole left by becoming a widow at 24.I want this book to be a work of fiction. I want her husband to be sitting right next to her eating dinner or hanging a picture for her or helping her finish her baby's room.  My heart hurts for the way she misses her husband and father to her unborn child. Before his death he completed her (he made her whole) and he is gone now. A part she knows is unreplaceable. So much truth and knowledge Natalie acquires for one so young (in years). HER pain is real and genuine and heart wrenching. I am not sure what lies at the end of this book- how she turns her pain into something good. I will let you know next week.
Can't wait to read what you all are up to! And any tips of potty training a boy? I do truly think my boy will go off to college in diapers.....

5 comments:

  1. I have seen plarn all over the place lately. Maybe one of these days I will try it!

    What worked for our boys was a potty seat that goes over the "big" toilet seat (instead of a little separate potty) and "big boy" underwear. Once we put them in the underwear and told them they could only wear it if they went potty in the toilet, that seemed to do it within about 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of plarn but looking forward to seeing it completed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun project.

    My husband always took on the boy training and it involved a lot of nakedness and peeing on tires or trees outside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of plarn, how interesting, I'm really curious as to how your project is going to turn out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an interesting project!

    My boy basically trained himself ... it was all four girls that were the trouble; they were finally trained around 3 1/2, ugh!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by- I treasure hearing from you.